Offenbach Archival Depot (OAD)
The Offenbach Archival Depot served as the main collecting point for looted Jewish libraries, archives and liturgical objects. The United States authorities established it in the vicinity of Frankfurt am Main, as its work was to begin with the restitution of the extensive stocks of looted books from the National Socialist "Institute for Research on the Jewish Question." Compared to paintings, the allocation and restitution of the books was much more time-consuming.
Until it closed in June 1949, nearly 5 million volumes passed through the depot, from more than 4,000 diverse public and private libraries.