The painter and writer Uriel Birnbaum (1894–1956) presented the founders of the Jewish religion in expressionistic paintings with luminous colors. He wrote in an introductory essay:
The world confronts the phenomenon of Moses with a peculiar lack of understanding, and even the devout Jewry doesn't fully grasp his world-historical significance. [...] There is nearly no one who fully fathoms what it means that this single figure triggered a shock that is more disruptive than any other in history—a shock that continues to send new waves rolling through humanity to this day.
Uriel Birnbaum, Moses, P. 14 f.
The table of contents cites the corresponding biblical verse for every image. The illustrated scenes contain familiar themes such as The Burning Bush, Parting the Red Sea and The Golden Calf, but also others that aren't as deeply anchored in our cultural consciousness.
Digitized Books About Uriel Birnbaum
- Uriel Birnbaum: Moses (1924)
- Uriel Birnbaum: Das Buch Jona (The Book of Jonah) (1921)
- Uriel Birnbaum: Der Seelen-Spiegel (The Mirror of Souls) (1924)
- Uriel Birnbaum: Der Kaiser und der Architekt (The Emperor and the Architecht) (1924)
- Uriel Birnbaum: Allerlei absonderliche Tiere (Peculiar Animals of All Kinds) (1926)
- Arthur Polzer Hoditz: Uriel Birnbaum (1936)
- Abraham Horodisch: Die Exlibris des Uriel Birnbaum (The Book Plates of Uriel Birnbaum (1957)
Share, Newsletter, Feedback
Digitized Books: Read Our Books Online (4)
Read Our Books Online
We've digitized rare and valuable books and made them available online for you to read and enjoy. A complete list of our digitized books can be found in the online catalog (in German).
A Guide Through the Jewish Museum
from the collection of the Jewish Community of Berlin
by Uriel Birnbaum
Thyrsos-Verlag, Berlin/Vienna 1924
The best stories, games, and riddles from the Children's Pages of the C.V.-Zeitung
Philo Verlag und Buchhandlung G.m.b.H., Berlin 1936
Synagoga. Cult objects and works of art
Catalog of the exhibition
back to general view
Information and objects about the painter and writer in our online collections (in German)
At our Library, you have access to over 65,000 items including about 20,000 from our historical library holdings.
All About ...