As part of the Long Night of Museums, which this year explores the Sounds of Berlin, the Jewish Museum Berlin (JMB) invites you to Milonga – a world tour in the footsteps of the Jewish and argentinian tango. Let yourself be carried away by Lavinia Torrebruno and Chiche Núñez from Urquiza Tango Berlin. Their professional direction helps beginners take their first steps and more advanced dancers to hone their technique before dancing the night away under the glass canopy to the sounds of DJ Nikolay Karabinovych.
Old Building, ground level, Glass Courtyard
Lindenstraße 9–14, 10969 Berlin
Tango is the language of desire, resistance and freedom. In 1920s Lviv or Warsaw, the tango sounds of Buenos Aires were blended with the Jewish music and melodies of the Eastern European Sinti and Romani peoples. Through emigration and exile, these sounds found their way back to the New World, where they influenced the further development of the Argentine tango.
In a short conversation moderated by Marina Chernivsky, there will be insights into the history and present of these musical and cultural connections.
Glass Courtyard Program:
|6 pm–12 midnight||DJ Nikolay Karabinovych|
|7–7.30 pm||Introduction to tango|
|7.30–9 pm||MILONGA – with a performance by Lavinia Torrebruno + Chiche Núñez|
|9–9.30 pm||Introduction to tango|
|9.30–11 pm||MILONGA – with a performance by Lavinia Torrebruno + Chiche Núñez|
Core Exhibition Program:
|6–11 pm||Short guided tours of the core exhibition exploring the theme of music + performance
Tickets for the guided tours are available 1 hour in advance at the info counter in the foyer of the Jewish Museum Berlin.
What is a flamenco dress doing in a Jewish Museum? Take a short tour and be surprised by what you learn about Jewish music and dance; discover the sounds of the JMB’s core exhibition.
Offer for FRIENDS OF THE JMB
Friends of the JMB can participate in the program for free. Advance registration required (max. 15 participants). Standing tables will additionally be reserved in the Glass Courtyard. Please register by 11 August: T +49 (0)30 25 993 436 or email@example.com.
Cultural Summer at the Jewish Museum Berlin
- Cultural Summer 2023 – 15 Jun to 26 Aug 2023
- Boychiks in Berlin! An Evening of Comedy with YidLife Crisis – 15 Jun 2023
- Schattmann and the Representation of Jewish Experience in the Cinema of the GDR – Film marathon and book presentation with Lisa Schoß and Knut Elstermann, 18 Jun 2023, in German
- Jazz in the Garden: Tel Aviv Quintet – 25 Jun 2023
- JMB Summer Festival for the Whole Family! – 9 Jul 2023
- Jazz in the Garden: Shay Hazan Quintet – 23 Jul 2023
- Jazz in the Garden: Tal Gamlieli – 6 Aug 2023
- Jazz in the Garden: Tayfun Guttstadt & Friends – 20 Aug 2023
- Current page: Jewish Tango from Lviv to Buenos Aires – a Milonga around the World – Part of the Long Night of Museums 2023 – Sounds of Berlin, 26 Aug 2023
- Digital Content
- Cultural Summer 2022 – Video Recording
- Cultural Summer 2021 – Video Recordings
- Cultural Summer 2017 – Audio and Video Recordings